Are you a homeowner wanting to install a metal or steel roof for your house? If the answer is “yes,” then you have probably begun to consider all the metal roofing costs. While it would be nice if it were as simple as using a metal roof cost calculator, there’s a lot more that goes into it than you think.
Metal roofing prices are mainly based on the square footage of the steel roofing surface. In Ontario, for instance, the price of metal roofing varies between $16.00 and $28.00 per square foot. And this is just the basic factor that impacts the cost of your metal roof. Keep reading.
Metal Roofing Installation Cost Factors
There are several factors to note with the installation of a new steel roof for your home. The following elements will impact your metal roof cost and determine your budget for the project:
Metal Roof Advantages
Now that you have an idea of the steel roof costs, you will want to weigh out the advantages of having a metal roof.
- Life expectancy. A metal roof has a life expectancy of 50+ years, making it well worth the costs.
- Aesthetically pleasing. The sleek design of a metal roof adds a subtle flair to your home.
- Climate protection. Steel roofs are well suited for extreme weather conditions that a typical shingle roof often cannot handle. Rain, strong winds, heavy snowfall and sleep can destroy a shingled roof in one storm, whereas a metal roof can withstand harsh Canadian winters like a champ.
- Fire resistance. Yet another fantastic safety measure of a metal roof for your home!
- Increased home value and ROI: The investment of a steel roof will increase the overall value of your property and home. This will also increase your house’s resale value and consistently has high returns on investment if and when you choose to resell your home.
- Energy-efficiency. Save on your summertime cooling costs by installing a metal roof and keeping your home cool.
The Price of Metal Roofs vs. the Price Asphalt Shingles
The metal roofing cost in comparison to the cost of installation of roofing shingles is roughly 2-3 times more. However, when you factor in the longevity of metal roofs, especially in extreme climates, and the lack of constant repairs, you will save in the long run with a metal roof. A metal roof is a long term solution and investment toward your roofing needs.
The Bottom Line about Steel Roofing Costs
While the steel roof installation costs may seem overwhelming, it is a worthy investment into your home’s market value. Additionally, the steel roof installation cost pays for itself with a lifespan that will cover decades. It is certainly more costly than the asphalt shingle option for your roof but the benefits speak for themselves. When evaluating the cost of a metal roof you will want to do your research for the right metal roofing contractor, materials, and labourers.