If your roof is starting to look a little worn out, it’s tough for the untrained eye to determine if you can fix the issue with some simple repairs or if a more serious overhaul is needed. Dream Roof has an entire team of trustworthy, experienced roofing contractors ready to help. Our roofers will give you a fast and fair quote. We’ll work within your budget to make sure you don’t pay for more than you need to. In this article, we’ll run down the top factors to consider when you’re debating a full roof replacement.
5 Things to Consider When Deciding To Replace Or Repair Your Roof
- Age Of Roof: No roof will last forever and depending on the material your roof is made from, this may be an indicator of when it’s time to replace it. If your roof has suffered storm damage and it’s starting to look worn down, it might be time to put up a new one. Sometimes it’s more cost-effective to install a new roof rather than shelling out money for regular repairs. A new roof can also be considered an investment, whether you’re planning to sell or stay in your current home for years to come.
- Roof Leaks: If you notice water stains on your walls or ceilings, it means that you have a leaky roof. It’s one of the most common roof repairs homeowners need to spend money on and it’s an issue you should take care of straight away. If left unattended, the leaking could lead to damaged drywall and insulation or mould and rotting wood. Even if the leak starts as a small trickle, it’s guaranteed to get worse if you don’t take the necessary steps to fix it. Finding a leak can be tricky, so it’s always best to enlist the services of a professional roofer who can quickly and efficiently diagnose the problem.
- Extent Of Roof Damage: There are two types of damage to consider when you’re deciding whether to repair or completely replace your roof. The first type of damage is structural, which needs your immediate attention for the sake of your home. The second type of damage is simply aesthetic and it means that your house just looks worn down and has less curb appeal. Maybe it’s bad for resale value, but not necessarily requiring urgent attention. Either way, a professional roofer can help you determine the best course of action that works with the money you are willing to spend.
- Geographical Area: Harsh Canadian winters can wreak havoc on your shingles and repairing roof shingles is pretty common. Snow, ice, hail and yo-yo temperatures put a lot of stress on your roof. If heavy winds blow off your shingles and expose parts of your roof, your home’s interior may be susceptible to water damage.
Roof Replacement Cost
In most cases, roof replacement is going to be more expensive than hiring out for some roof repairs. However, if you’re looking at a lot of repairs over the next few years, it might be more cost-effective to replace your roof entirely. This is something that the roofing experts at Dream Roof can help you determine. We’ll consider your budget and weigh it against the risks from your roof’s current state. Ultimately, a new roof will give you immediate peace of mind because you won’t have to worry about any repairs or potential damages for many years to come.
When To Get A Roof Repair
- Just A Bit Of Damage: The simplest and cheapest roof repairs are needed when it’s just a small section of your roof that requires new singles. This type of damage is usually caused by intense winds. If your asphalt shingles were blown away or wrecked in a storm, they can easily be replaced or you might be able to install a roof patch. The cost will be increased if you used more expensive materials for your roof covering such as steel panels. The hardest part of repairing a small area of your roof comes down to looks. It can oftentimes be hard to match your type of shingles exactly, especially if they are a few years old and faded by the sun. Regardless, this is why we always recommend customers hold on to leftover shingles after a roof installation. You never know when they might come in handy!
- More Serious Damage: Sometimes the damage can be much worse, but again, it might be contained to one side or a small section of your roof. In this case, you can probably get away without redoing your entire roof, but it will be hard to make it look good. Matching materials will be quite difficult, but your roofing pro can do their very best if this is the repair method you choose to repair moderate damage.
When To Get A New Roof
A new roof will almost certainly cost you more money, but there are many benefits, including:
- It Looks Good! One of the first things prospective buyers will note is the condition of your roof because it’s such a dominating feature of most homes. So whether you’re looking to increase the value of your home, or you just want to have the nicest roof on the street, getting a new roof will increase your home’s curb appeal.
- Save Energy & Money: A new roof will save you money on heating and cooling because the latest roofing materials use green technology to increase efficiency.
- No Worries: You’ll feel less stressed during the most violent storms knowing that your new roof is strong and can protect your most valuable investment from all the elements.
If you’re still debating between simple roof repairs and getting a whole new roof, the roofing experts at Dream Roof will help you determine the best choice for you. We’ll carefully consider the condition and age of your roof along with the current risk to your home’s interior. From there, we’ll work within your budget to create a fast and fair estimate. Our technicians stand by their work and the project won’t be complete until you’re fully satisfied.